Thursday, July 15, 2010

Tip of the Week


If your recipe calls for "fluffy" egg whites (divinity or meringue) put the egg beaters and the bowl in the freezer for about 30 minutes. I guarantee the meringue peaks on your lemon pie will be beautiful.



Caramel Corn (one of my easiest recipes)

Forget the peanuts and Cracker Jack - take my caramel corn to the ball game :} I like to wrap it up in a decorative bag, attach the recipe, and give as a gift. It's also great for camping or taking to a friend's house for movie night. Enjoy!

  • 2 bags of microwave popcorn
  • 15 large marshmallows (not the store brand)
  • 1 cup of brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup of butter

Pop popcorn. Try to remove as many old maids as you can. Melt butter and brown sugar in microwavable bowl. Add the marshmallows a few at a time and microwave, stirring in between. Keep melting and stirring until you can pour the mixture easily (not as thin as syrup). Pour over popcorn and mix.





7 comments:

  1. What a great tip! I will definitely try that! Do you know if eggs can be frozen and then defrosted and used? I had a friend who was very stressed and accidentally placed the eggs in the freezer! Two days later she found them and used them to make blueberry muffins. Yes, the muffins were awesome - best ever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is there any specific type of microwaved popcorn? Like the extra butter flavour or do you use plain?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeannie,
    From what I have read, eggs are one of the few items that should not be frozen.

    Robert,
    I prefer Pop Secret, lightly buttered popcorn.
    I appologize - I can't get my pictures to load correctly. I might try something like your video bar.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just made the caramel corn and it was absolutely easy to make and wonderful to eat! Thanks again for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Paulette,
    Thanks for the great recipe. I made caramel corn once and I almost busted my teeth. Your recipe is WAY easier and it tastes AMAZINGG!!!
    ~Beth~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Paulette,
    I was wondering if you ever found it easier to melt items like this on the old-fashioned stove top. I get so frustrated with the microwave either not heating up enough or over heating and splattering all over the place when it gets too hot too fast.
    Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mona,
    When I make fudge, I always use the stove top. But since this recipe is about being "easy" I use the microwave. I cook in increments of 1 minute - that seems to help from overcooking – especially this recipe. Hope that helps

    ReplyDelete