Thursday, July 8, 2010

Vegetables are a must on a diet. I suggest carrot cake, zucchini bread, and pumpkin pie. ~Jim Davis


Welcome to my Baking Blog. I don’t like to cook, but I love to bake (and eat what I bake), so what better way to share some recipes than with a blog. I think the reason I like to bake, and can do it fairly well, is that I am very particular with everything that I do. I have found out that in baking; measurements, temperature, and humidity levels need to be precise, whereas in cooking, you can just throw things together - at least a lot of the good cooks I know can. Each week I will share a new recipe, photos and a "tip for the week."


Hummingbird Cake


Ingredients:
· 3 cups all-purpose flour
· 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
· 1/2 teaspoon salt
· 1 teaspoons baking soda
· 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
· 3 eggs, beaten
· 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
· 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
· 1 can (8oz) crushed pineapple (not drained)
· 1 cup chopped pecans
· 2 cups mashed bananas (5)

Cream Cheese Frosting:
· 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
· 2 sticks of butter, room temperature
· 3 cups powdered sugar
· 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
· 1/2 to 1 cup chopped pecans

Preparation:
Preheat oven to 300°. Mix all ingredients together by hand. Bake in a greased and floured bundt or tube pan for 1 and ½ hours. Cake will crack on top. Cool in pan for 1 hour before removing. Cool completely before frosting.


Frosting:

Combine cream cheese and butter with an electric mixer. Cream until smooth. Add powdered sugar, beating until light and fluffy. Stir in vanilla. Frost cake. Garnish with chopped pecans if desired.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds amazing!

    Do you do requests? The topping prompts me to ask about cinnamon buns coated with cream cheese frosting. Would get me major points with my wife as it's her favourite but rarely found.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, Yum! I agree, baking is completely different from cooking! I do not like to cook, but I enjoy baking. You are correct about the measurements, temperature and humidity level - something I think many people overlook! I look forward to reading the tips of the week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with your "version" of fruits and vegetables. This recipe sounds fantastic! When it cools off I'm going to have to try this for sure. I have to admit I would rather bake than cook also. But it just takes so long to get a complicated recipe with lots of ingredients all set. Do you have any suggestions on baking more efficiently?

    ReplyDelete