Thursday, August 5, 2010

Tip of the Day
Always use ingredients that are at room temperature. The butter should be soft ~ not melted or oily.

German Chocolate Cake
(No picture this week – it is too hot to bake!)

Ingredients:

· 1cup chopped pecans
· 1 German chocolate cake mix
· 1 lb Confectioner’s sugar
· 1 cup coconut
· 1 stick butter
· 1 8 oz package cream cheese


Preparation:

· Heat oven to 350.

· Put pecans and coconut in the bottom of a 9 x 13 pan. Mix cake mix as directed on box. Pour over coconut and pecans. Melt butter and cream cheese. Stir in confectioner’s sugar. Pour over cake mix. Using a table knife, gently swirl the mixture through the cake mix.

· Bake at 350 degrees for 35 – don’t over bake.

· This cake does not look pretty, but it tastes delicious.

5 comments:

  1. I noticed quite a few of your recipes include nuts. My mom and many of my cousins are allergic to almonds. Do you have any suggestions for giving recipes a "nutty taste" without actual nuts? Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paulette,
    I am trying to lose weight and you are making me very hungry! No picture - I am now gathering that the other pictures are pictures you took of your own creations! I am very impressed! I wonder if you should give yourself photo credit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mona,
    I don't have any suggestions for your nut question. In my recipes, they seem to add more texture so I would just leave them out. My husband doesn't like coconut and I leave it out sometimes and the cakes still taste good.

    Hi Jeannie,
    I am trying to lose weight too, so I feel your pain. But once it's off, just think what you have to look forward to :} I took the first three pictures but didn't take the apple crisp one. That is one thing I wish I could do better. I am trying to learn from Robert.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks anyway Paulette. I have to agree with your husband on the coconut. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. For the non bakers in the crowd: What's the difference between german chocolate and good old everyday semi-sweet?

    ReplyDelete